Sunday, January 9, 2011

Cashew Chicken

Georgia 026
Adapted from All Recipes

My  husband had just arrived home from a week in California and I had just arrived home from a week in Georgia.  I really didin't feel like cooking, but the little babe had already had a long day and I could just imagine him completely breaking down if we tried to run to a nearby restaurant.  Thus, I wracked my brain for a meal that was delicious, FAST, and that I had all the ingredients on hand.  Cashew chicken was the result.  I love the cashews in this and the almost rich taste of sauce. 

Ingredients:

  • 2 cups cubed chicken
  • 2 Tbs oil
  • 3 medium stalks of celery, diced
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 can sliced water chestnuts
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
  • ¼ cup soy sauce
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • ¾ cup chicken broth
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 Tbs cornstarch
  • 3 Tbs cold water
  • ½ cup cashews
  • 4 cups rice
Directions:

  • Heat oil and salt in large skillet.  Add chicken.  Cook and stir over medium-high heat until almost cooked through.  Stir in vegetables and ginger, cook and stir fry for 2 minutes.  Stir in broth, teriyaki sauce, soy sauce and cashews. 
  • Reduce heat.  Cover and simmer until vegetables are crisp tender and chicken is done, about 3 minutes.
  • Mix cold water and cornstarch, stirring in gradually into chicken mixture.  Heat to boiling, stirring continuously until thickened.  Serve over hot rice.
Notes:  I added some red bell pepper as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment