Saturday, January 1, 2011

Brie En Croute

Adapted from All Recipes

Again, another excuse for my picture--the pastry shell had been in my freezer for quite some time (since the last time I made a brie), and it definitely was a bit less flexible than I remembered.  So, it might be beneficial to plan on making two bries within a closer time period than I did or to find another use for your pastry shell!  Anyway, in person the brie still looked impressive and was commented on by most of my guests on New Years Eve.  This is definitely an appetizer that is easy to make, but very gourmet.  I had multiple requests for the recipe and I just kept on telling my friends that it was SO simple; anyone could do it.  Brie is delicious.  Definitely a reason to indulge.  The apricot preserves are fabulous with the cheese, but I remember reading in the original comments from the All Recipes that many people substituted different types of jam to their preference. 

Ingredients:

  • ½ package Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry sheets
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbs water
  • ½ cup apricot preserves
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberry, softened
  • 1 round Brie cheese
Directions:

  • Thaw pastry sheet at room temperature for 30-45 minutes.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Mix egg and water.
  • Unfold pastry sheet on lightly floured surface.  Roll into 14” square.  Cut off corners to make a circle.  Spread preserves to within one inch of pastry edge.  Sprinkle craisins over preserves.  Top with cheese.  Brush edge of circle with egg mixture.
  • Fold two opposite sides over cheese.  Trim remaining two sides to two inches from edge of cheese.  Fold these two sides onto the round.  Press edges to seal  Place seam side down on baking sheet.  Decorate top with pastry scraps, if desired.  Brush with egg mixture. 
  • Bake 20 minutes or until golden.  Stand one hour before serving.  Serve with crackers.
Note:  To soften craisins, let stand in hot water for one minute.  Also, I will generally only use ½ round of Brie cheese b/c it is a lot of cheese!  Also, can use other flavors of jam/preserves if desired.  Try raspberry jam. 


No comments:

Post a Comment