Saturday, March 12, 2011

Greek Pasta

037
Adapted from All Recipes

We had some friends over for a little BBQ tonight and I made this side dish.  I left out the olives, since my husband thinks that olives ruin a dish rather than make it.  Personally, I enjoy olives, but have trouble justifying buying them just for me.  Also, when I was shopping for ingredients the grocery section of Walmart didn't carry orzo pasta.  I was disappointed.  I do prefer this pasta salad with orzo, but it was still scrumptious with penne as a substitute.  I love Greek recipes since they always taste so fresh.  The use of Feta, artichoke hearts, cucumber and tomatoes is a killer combo.  Love it.  This recipe makes A LOT of pasta, so even with about 10 of us eating it, I will have leftovers.  Not that I mind.  ;)  Oh, and I have addded grilled chicken to this before to eat as a main dish.

Ingredients:
·         1 ½ cup cooked whole wheat orzo pasta (cook according to package directions)
·         12 oz. can artichoke hearts, chopped
·         3 roma tomatoes, chopped
·         1 cucumber, halved, seeded and sliced
·         ½ red onion, thinly sliced
·         ½ cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
·         1 cup feta, crumbled
·         ¼ cup fresh parsley
·         2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
·         2 Tbs red wine vinegar
·         1 ½ Tbs squeezed lemon juice
·         ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
·         1 Tbs oregano
·         Salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
  • Mix all ingredients.  Serve warm or cool.
Note:  Can use different types of pasta if orzo is not available or on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment