Thursday, December 16, 2010

A-1 & Gorgonzola Burgers

Adapted from Chef Bobby Flay

So, I have a quirk when I eat burgers...I like them in pitas rather than on buns.  I've always had an issue with the bread to burger + toppings ratio on burgers and hotdogs.  There is just SO much bread.  This meant that I would pick off what I considered the "excess" bread when I did indulge in a hot dog or burger.  But then I discovered a recipe for Greek Burgers that used a pita pocket rather than the bread.  I was hooked.  I think my husband still prefers a bun, but is perfectly fine with the pita pocket alternative since it is lower in calories.  Yesterday I even offered him a bun (we had leftovers in the fridge) and he chose the pita pocket as well.  Anyway, on to this yummy burger.  I watched a segment on the Today Show where Chef Bobby Flay came and cooked an A-1 burger.  His burger included the caramelized onions, but not the Gorgonzola.  I think it had Swiss cheese instead.  However, my husband really likes Gorgonzola on burgers and I knew it would work well with the rest of the ingredients.  The burger turned out with tons of flavor, but was definitely artery-clogging.  So, this might not become a regular on your menu for health reasons, but you should definitely consider it for the occasional splurge!

Ingredients:

  • 2 frozen hamburger patties
  • Garlic salt, to taste
  • 2 pita pockets or 2 hamburger buns
  • 1 medium-sized onion
  • 4-6 baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/3 cup Gorgonzola cheese
  • 2 Tbs + 2 tsp butter
  • A-1 sauce
Directions:

  • Preheat outdoor grill on medium high.  Cook hamburger patties for approximately 7 minutes on each side, seasoning to taste with garlic salt.
  • Meanwhile, chop onion into rings and then cut each ring in half.  Add 1 Tbs of butter to a small pan and melt on medium-low heat.  Add onions and cook slowly to caramelize.  This will take about 15-20 minutes. 
  • Add 1 Tbs of butter and Gorgonzola in another small pan on stove, cooking at medium heat.   Mix constantly until the Gorgonzola combines with butter into a spread.  Remove from heat.
  • Add 2 tsp of butter to another small pan and cook the mushrooms on medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally so they don’t burn. 
  • Cut the two pitas to about 2/3 ratio.  Discard the other 1/3 or save for a later date. {Or just use hamburger buns.} Assemble your burger by spreading A-1 sauce and gorgonzola on the pita, then adding the burger, caramelized onions and mushrooms.  May want additional A-1 sauce for dipping, if desired.
Notes:  Try making with Swiss next time.  Consider adding tomato slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment