Sunday, October 2, 2011

Peanut Butter Banana Scones

Birdie Attack! 029
Adapted from Sweetpeaskitchen.com

I get daily recipe emails from Sweet Pea's blog and this was one that I immediately knew I had to try.  So, I will admit to adjusting the recipe...I added extra peanut butter to the scone recipe.  I'm glad that I did because I LOVE peanut butter and wanted it to taste strongly of peanut butter, BUT it made it so I couldn't roll them out into scones.  Rather, I had to pour the dough into a pan and let it cook as if it were a bread.  Because of this, I wrote the recipe below as Miss Sweet Pea suggests, so that if you want a definite scone you can follow her recipe.  If you want a stronger peanut butter taste, just add 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter and pour it into a pan to bake like I did!  Either way it will be scrumptious! 

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 Tbs baking powder
  • 3 Tbs sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 tsp ground allspice
  • 5 Tbs cold butter, cut into ¼-inch cubes
  • ½ cup mashed banana
  • 2 Tbs butter
  • 1 cup heavy cream
For the peanut butter glaze:
  • 1/3 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 Tbs milk
  • 1 Tbs creamy peanut butter
Directions:
  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
  • In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with fit the paddle attachment, stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice and chopped peanuts. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until the texture resembles coarse cornmeal, with the butter pieces no larger than small peas.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk together the banana, peanut butter and heavy cream. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients and form the dough into a ball. With lightly floured hands press dough into a 8-inch round. With a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into 8 wedges.
  • Place wedges on the prepared baking sheet and bake in preheated oven 12 to 15 minutes or until tops of scones are a light brown. Transfer to a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before serving.
  • While the scones are cooling, make peanut butter glaze. In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar, milk and peanut butter until smooth. Drizzle glaze over scones and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment